University of Colombo collaborates with Google LLC, offers G Suite for all faculty, students, and staff to simplify their digital life. G Suite is an online work environment that can access from a computer with an internet connection and a web browser, on most operating systems. All University of Colombo members are privileged to access a wide range of Google Suite apps and services by login it with their university email address. This service facilitates unlimited email storage, access to the Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Calendar, Google Sites, Google Classroom and Google Forms, etc.
MOST IMPORTANT APPLICATIONS
Docs, Sheets, Slides
This is the University of Colombo’s official email system and you can access it on the web browser or on your mobile device using the Gmail app. All university full-time students, permanent staff members are eligible to access this service and the students are given an email with the format of email@example.com. The staff members are given an email based on their name and the department. The format would be firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gmail lets you attached files up to 25 MB in size. If the attached file is larger than 25 MB in size, it gets uploaded to Google Drive and Gmail places a download link to the file in the body of the email.
How to login to my Gmail Account?
- If you are using a web browser, click on the above “Sing in to Gmail” button. Then, Enter your email address and the password. Now, you will be able to log in to your email inbox.
- If you wish to use the Gmail app on your mobile device, you need to install the app according to your mobile device’s OS.
- If you are a new user in the university email system, you will be asking to change the password at the first login session.
How to request a new Email Address?
Full-time students will be receiving an email account from the faculty/institute/school/campus administration during the course orientation period. Staff members can request an email address by contacting their IT co-ordinator from here.
How to Use Gmail?
Read more on Gmail Help Center
Google Drive is a cloud-based backup/store space that we recommend for all members of the university.
- It’s free and provides unlimited backup file storage.
- It shares files with your co-workers and able to assign access privileges.
- It allows multiple users to open and edit files simultaneously.
- It’s able to access on various devices.
How to Sing in to Google Drive?
- If you are using a web browser, click on the above “Sign in to Google Drive – Web” button. Then, Enter your email address and the password. Now, you will be able to log in to your google drive.
- If you wish to synchronize your Google Drive and your computer storage, you need to download and install the above Google Drive for PC application.
- If you wish to install the Google Drive app on your mobile device, you need to install the app according to your mobile device’s OS.
- If you already log in to your Gmail account in your web browser, you can navigate to Google Drive by clicking the 9 dots icon on the top right corner.
How to Use Google Drive?
Read more on Google Drive Help Center
This is the official University of Colombo’s calendaring system. It provides schedule social and academic life, creates personal calendars, shares appointments, and invite colleagues and friends to events.
You can sign in to the Google Calendar by clicking on the above “Sign in to Google Calendar” button or if you already logged in to your Gmail account in your web browser, you can navigate to the Calendar by clicking the 9 dots icon on the top right corner.
Install Google Calendar on Mobile
Get started with Calendar
Learn Google Calendar - Tutorial
These apps facilitate collaboration, share feedback, and work together in real-time on documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, etc. Once you log in to your Google Drive you are able to create new documents as shown in the following figure 1. If you already logged in to your Gmail account in your web browser, you can navigate to the relevant app by clicking the 9 dots icon on the top right corner as shown in the following figure 2.
If you wish to install the relevant mobile apps on your mobile device, you need to install the app according to your mobile device’s OS and the application type as listed below.
Download the apps for iOS
Download the apps for Android
Learn Google Docs - Tutorial
Learn Google Slides - Tutorial
Learn Google Sheets - Tutorial
Read more on Google Docs Help Center
This app can be used for planning, managing, creating polls, gathering information and creating quizzes. This also creates surveys using a bunch of question options like multiple choice, dropdown list, and checkboxes, etc.
Once you log in to your Google Drive you are able to create new forms as shown in the following figure.