Early Childhood Development Centre was established by the University of Colombo on 18/05/2006 for the benefit of the University employees and both the Undergraduates and Postgraduate students. This facility has been extended for the children of the general public in 2007.
Children between the age of 2 ½ – 12 years are eligible to gain admission.
The following information is for the kind attention of all the parents/guardians of the children who are under the care of the Day-Care Centre/Early Childhood Development Centre;
- The children who are admitted to the Day-Care Centre must be handed over to the Centre between 7.30 a.m. and 8.30 a.m.
- The Child needs to be picked up from the centre, before 5.00 p.m.
- The Child is not eligible to be under the care of the Day Care Centre once he/she completes the age of 12 years.
- The fee due to be paid to the Day Care Centre must be paid before the 10th of each month.
- The mother /father or the guardian of the child must accompany the child every day when the child is brought to and picked up from the Day Care Centre and also must sign to the effect that the child is admitted in and taken back from the Centre each day.
- The parents who bring in children to the Centre must refrain from staying at the Centre.
- The telephone calls in relation to a child must be given only to the Centre Telephone and not to the mobile telephones of the personnel working in the Centre.
- Children who are sick should not be brought to the Centre until they are completely cured.
- The parents are requested to refrain from requesting special treatment or preferences or privileges to their children.
- The daily programmes of the Childhood Development Centre are designed to match the educational and psychological needs of the children in general. The parents are advised not request the staff of the centre to involve their child to such general activities or request that their child must be involved only in certain selected activities.
- The Centre has a duty to train children to identify the local culture and the customs and also which is right from wrong and how to identify good from bad. As such, when general activities of the Centre such as the Sinhala Hindu New Year, National Day, Wesak Festival, Games Day are organized, Parents are advised to encourage the children to take part in such activities.
- Children are expected to take part in religious observances daily. Hence the parents are requested to hand over the child before the commencement of religious observances.
- The child learns various things by experiencing the environment. To expose the child to various experiences filled with education and fun, environment related trips will be organized. Trips to the National Zoological Gardens, Sathutu Uyana, with the participation of the parents, could be organized to achieve this purpose.
Services of the ECDC
- Provide a safe physical,social and emotional environment for children.
- Provide an environment for the child to develop self-confidence and motivation for learning.
- Satisfy child’s instinctive need to learn.
- Provide age appropriate daily activities to ensure balanced physical, social, emotional and cognitive development of the children.
- Extend it’s service to employees in other institutes in close vicinity to the University.
To ensure the child’s optimum development in every aspect, following well designed activities are provided.
- Activities for the development of fine motor skills including finger and hand movements.
- Activities for the development of gross motor skills such as batting, kicking, walking and running.
- Activities for the development of emotional skills as patience and cooperation.
- Activities for the development of social skills such as sharing and caring.
- Activities for the development of cognitive skills such as thinking, problem solving and remembering.
- Activities for the development of communication skills such as social speech and use of English as a second language.
- Activities for the development of aesthetic abilities such as singing and dancing.
+94 113158329 | Ext: 7039