Molecular characterization of mesenchymal stem cells
Molecular characterization of mesenchymal stem cells of patients with myelodysplastic syndrome in a Sri Lankan population Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) is a complex spectrum of bone marrow stem cell disorders. The exact molecular mechanism of pathobiology of this complex disorder is still being explored. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are precursors of marrow stromal cells which interact with the haematopoietic compartment and are implicated in the pathogenesis of Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS). This project was conducted to determine the in vitro characteristics as well as cytogenetic and molecular profiles of MSCs in a cohort of Sri Lankan de novo MDS patients.
Ethical Approval for the study was obtained from the Ethics Review Committee of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo. (EC- 12 – 040)
Haematology Departments of the Apeksha Hospital Maharagama, National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo North Teaching Hospital, and Colombo South Teaching Hospital.
- University Grants Commission, Sri Lanka
- National Science Foundation, Sri Lanka
Name of the Researchers
- Mr W.M.M.S Bandara
- Prof. Vajira H.W. Dissanayake
- Dr Hemali W. W. Goonasekera
- Mr Nilaksha F. Neththikumara
Related Research Papers
- J. I. S. Rathnayake, H. W. W. Goonasekera, and V. H. W. Dissanayake, “Phenotypic and Cytogenetic Characterization of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in De Novo Myelodysplastic Syndromes,” Analytical Cellular Pathology, vol. 2016, Article ID 8012716, 11 pages, 2016. doi:10.1155/2016/8012716 Link: https://www.hindawi.com/journals/acp/2016/8012716
- Bandara WMMS, Rathnayake AJIS, Goonasekera HWW and Dissanayake VHW. (May 2016), Development of Cytogenetic Abnormalities in Myelodysplastic Syndromes. J Mol Genet Med; 10(2):pp10002171-5
- A.J.I.S Rathnayake, N.F Neththikumara, W.M.M.S. Bandara V. H. W. Dissanayake. H. W. W. Goonasekera. Next Generation Sequencing Analysis of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in a Sri Lankan Cohort of Myelodysplastic Syndromes Patients. Sri Lanka college of haematologists annual scientific sessions 2017. 28th to 29th September, Hakka trans Hikkaduwa, Sri lanka (Abstracted in the proceedings of the conference p21) Was selected as the best oral presentation.
- M.M.S. Bandara, N.F Neththikumara, A.J.I.S Rathnayake, V. H. W. Dissanayake. H. W. W. Goonasekera. Next Generation Sequencing Analysis of Haematopoietic Stem Cells in a Sri Lankan Cohort of Myelodysplastic Syndromes Patients. Sri Lanka college of haematologists annual scientific sessions 2017. 28th to 29th September, Hakka trans Hikkaduwa, Sri lanka(Abstracted in the proceedings of the conference p22).
- Rathnayake IS, Dissanayake VHW, Goonasekara HWW. (June 2016), Molecular characterization of mesenchymal stem cells of patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome in Sri Lanka. 2nd International Conference on Natural Products Genomics and Drug Discovery.
- Rathnayake AJIS, Dissanayake VHW, Goonasekara HWW. (December, 3rd 2015), Cytogenetic Characteristics of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells in Myelodysplastic Syndromes, Proceedings of 9th UK Mesenchymal Stem Cell Meeting- Manchester 2015; poster.