Institute for Agro technology and Rural Sciences, University of Colombo, Weligatta, Hambanthota, HETC/QIG/W4
- Grant Coordinator – Ms. S. V. G. N. Priyadarshani
- Activity 1.1 Coordinator – Ms. S. A. P. Nelka
- Activity 1.2 Coordinator – Mr. J. L. H. Nishantha
- Activity 2 Coordinator – Ms. S. V. G. N. Priyadarshani
The institute for Agro technology and Rural Sciences, University of Colombo was established as Magampura Agro technology and Community Service Center to cater rural farming community to uplift their livelihood through introduction of Tissue Cultured Banana and new agro technologies.
The University of Colombo Institute of Agro-Technology and Rural Sciences (UCIARS) (here-in-referred to as the Institute) was established as an Institute with blended distance mode of teaching to provide opportunities of higher education to agricultural/farming community across barriers of age, space, time and academic background, under Section 24 A and Section 18 of the Universities Act no 16 of 1978 and the University of Colombo Institute of Agrotechnology and Rural Sciences Ordinance No. 02 of 2008. The Order under Section 24 A came into operation with effect from 23rd August 2008.
The institute carries out below activities for the benefit of rural farming community under HETC/QIG/W4 grant.
- ICT based farmer education programme and Rural Entrepreneurship Programme
- Socio- Economic development via knowledge and novel technology transfer of tissue cultured banana to farming community in Sri Lanka