Calling for Applications for Office of the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (Internal Applicants Only)
The Faculty of Graduate Studies is one of the nine Faculties of the University of Colombo. In terms of Section 4 (1) of the Faculty of Graduate Studies Ordinance No. 5 of 2020, the Dean of Faculty of Graduate Studies shall be a full-time officer of the University and the Academic and Administrative Head of the Faculty.
According to Section 4 (3) of the said Ordinance, the Dean of Faculty shall be appointed by the Council from a panel of three names recommended to the Council by the Board of Graduate Studies from among an Associate Professor, Professor and Senior Professor of the University.
The Dean shall be a person with a vision to achieve the goals of the Faculty through innovative managerial skills, excellence in institution building, project management and multi-disciplinary research promotion with ability to stimulate diverse interest of the students and staff alike.
The Dean is therefore expected to be a person of high academic calibre and integrity with a record of outstanding achievements with excellent communication skills. He/she should be able to strengthen University-Industry collaborations, and raise funds towards the self-financing status of the Faculty.
Accordingly, applications are invited from Associate Professors, Professors and Senior Professors of the University of Colombo with relevant Administrative Experience for the above position.
The successful candidate should possess:
- A record of high academic achievement and handling student affairs, proven leadership qualities and interpersonal skills to interact objectively with diverse interest groups.
- A clear understanding of policy issues and a commitment to the effective implementation of decisions will also be expected from the Dean.
- He / She should possess a deep understanding of the ethos and the mission of the Faculty including its commitment to the community.
- She/he should be able to effectively deal with volatile, demanding and stressful situations with tact and competence.
- She/he should also be able to work long hours depending on the task at hand.
Application must accompany the following documents;
- A Curriculum vitae indicating two non-related referees,
- A statement of vision for the development of the Faculty and a brief account of what the candidate proposes to achieve if appointed to the Office of the Dean.
Those who are interested are requested to send their self-prepared applications along with the above documents, through the respective Head of the Department and the Dean of the Faculty.
The documents should be placed in a sealed cover/envelope marked “Office of the Dean, FGS” on the top left-hand corner and should be sent under registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar/ Academic Establishments, College House, University of Colombo, Colombo 03 or submit the application in person to the Academic Establishments Branch on or before 7th December 2021 with an advance copy emailing to email@example.com
Applications received after the closing date will be rejected.
University of Colombo